It is pretty well known that there are many benefits of regular exercise and physical activity. Sadly in today's modern lifestyle this gets set aside to other activities in life such as work and family. However, it is still very important to maintain an active lifestyle. It doesn't have to consume hours and hours of your day, but you should make a commitment to it.
Many people exercise just to lose weight. This is fine and great, but often they quit once they meet their weight goals and eventually gain that weight back. When you think about becoming more active make an effort to make it part of your new lifestyle. Along with this will come healthier eating and other practices that are important for an overall healthy well-being.
Ways to Lose Weight
The two most common ways to lose weight are diet and exercise. These can be done independently or together. Most people have the greatest success when they diet and exercise simultaneously.
Diets are most effective when you take the initiative to make a lifestyle change and dedicate yourself to healthier eating. Despite all the popular fad diets there is one simple rule when it comes to picking a diet. Consume less calories than you burn. Even though this is a simple calculation you should also be mindful of the types of food you are eating. Chose healthier options instead. Not only are they better for you, they make you feel fuller and are more satisfying.
Exercise benefits start to happen when it is done on a regular basis. Even though it can be challenging to get started on an exercise regimen the benefits definitely outweigh the costs. Consider working out with a friend or hiring a personal trainer for added motivation.
Benefits of Exercise
There are many health benefits to exercise. Getting the motivation to do this is probably the hardest part for most people. Hopefully with a little encouragement this will change and you will actually want to go to the gym, take a bike ride, or go for a walk around the neighborhood.
According to the Mayo Clinic there are 7 benefits of regular exercise.
1. Weight Control
- Simply put exercise burns calories. When you exercise on a regular basis it helps you from gaining excess weight, and helps you lose weight. Consider doing simple things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or biking short distances when possible instead of driving. When you are at a healthy weight your body functions better and you are healthier.
2. Fights Disease
- Excess weight has been known to increase the chances for developing conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. When you live an active life style it promotes a boost in your good cholesterol and decreases the bad. It can also prevent you from developing other serious issues such as depression, cancer, stroke, and arthritis.
3. Improves Your Mood
- An increase in physical activity increases the level of dopamine and dopamine receptors in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps regulate your emotional responses. Exercise also has been proven to release endorphins; these give you a sense of pleasure. With regular exercise you also tend to have a healthier body image which helps prevent depression. It is also a good outlet for stress relief and buildup of anxiety.
4. Energy Boost
- When you exercise your body works more efficiently. This allows your heart and lungs to deliver more oxygen to your bloodstream. This gives you more energy to accomplish day to day tasks. Also, exercise increase strength and endurance allowing you to do more things that you enjoy.
5. You Sleep Better
- If you have trouble falling asleep, regular exercise may help. Not only do you sleep better but you also have a deeper sleep. This makes you more rested and gives you more energy the next day. However, it is best if you don't do any strenuous exercise to close to bedtime. If you do you may be to awake to fall asleep. Make sure you leave at least a couple of hours between exercise and bed.
6. Better Sex Life
- There are several different ties to sex and exercise. Firstly, exercise gets you back into shape. This will lead to a higher self-confidence and make you feel like you look better. Often this will lead to greater intimacy and more satisfaction. For woman regular exercise will often lead to an enhanced arousal. There are benefits for men too. Men who are in better shape have fewer problems with erectile dysfunction and can satisfy their partner better.
7. It’s Fun
- Exercise doesn't have be boring hours at the gym doing the same routine. Make exercise fun. Incorporate activities that you like or have always wanted to do. You could go for walks, join a sports team, go out dancing, rock climbing, or even swimming at the lake or pool is
The full article can be found here: